Undeb Bangor General Meeting October 2017
A huge thanks to the 250+ students that attended the Undeb Bangor General Meeting on Tuesday 3rd October. It was great to see so many there and we were able to approve some crucial proposals for change.
We hold two General Meetings a year and they are an opportunity for students to directly engage with Union democracy, propose changes to our structures, hold the Officer and Trustee Team to account and hear about our work from the previous year and plans for the next.
Here’s a quick snapshot of what was discussed and the links to the papers and proposals:
- We received an update from the University Deputy Vice Chancellor, David Shepherd and Pro-Vice Chancellor, Carol Tully on the Financial Sustainability Project and changes to school structures (you should have received an e-mail from the University about this but please get in touch if you have questions or concerns through firstname.lastname@example.org
- We presented an update on the work of Undeb Bangor over the last year – we’ve achieved a lot in 12 months and the full update is available on our website under Our Successes
- We approved our affiliations for the year ahead – these were mainly to national sports governing bodies but also for things like the National Union of Students and the Ofcom (for our student radio society, Storm) Check out the full list under Our General Meeting
- We approved KPMG as our financial auditors for the year ahead – this means we’ll continue to invite external experts in to audit our finances and ensure that everything we do is transparent and in line with our governance arrangement. Check out our most recent Financial Statements online at Our Finances
- The Sabbatical Officer Team launched their team priorities for the year ahead and pledged to involve as many students as possible in their work. Check out Our Priorities
- We presented our new Articles of Association and Bye-Laws for approval and these received the 75% majority required to pass these crucial new documents. Check these out through Our General Meeting
- We presented the new Undeb Myfyrwyr Cymraeg Bangor (UMCB) Constitution for approval and this also received the 75% majority required to pass. This finalises the Undeb Bangor and UMCB unification and we can now move forward with the election of the Is-Lywydd Myfyrwyr Cymraeg / UMCB President Sabbatical Officer role in the upcoming Sabbatical Team elections in term two.
- We approved the new ‘Societies Guild’ proposal and we’ll release more on this (including the new branding etc) soon
- And finally we presented our Spending Statement for 2016-17 with full breakdown of all group spending and presented for approval our Budget and Grant Allocations for 2017-18. Check these out through Our General Meeting
If there are any questions please get in touch through email@example.com
Our next General Meeting will be held in March 2018 and we hope to see you there
Ruth, Tatenda, Mirain, James and Helen
Your Sabbatical Officer Team 2017-18