Writing an election manifesto needn’t be something to tear your hair out about. Essentially, your manifesto should state what you would plan to do in your time in office, and what changes you would make.
It isn’t an excuse to bad mouth your opposition, or make unrealistic promises. Take some time before you write it to think about what you believe you can achieve and what the voters would respond to.
Some top tips for writing your manifesto (see some previous manifestos at the links below too):
Important dates and deadlines can be viewed here
- Be concise and use clear language. Avoid long, complicated words – you won’t win awards for being clever and you might just alienate important voters.
- Think carefully about layout and remember that the finished manifesto will be bilingual. Try to design it bilingually from the start.
- Set out your goals for your time in office and ensure they are realistic & achievable.
- Your manifesto is about you and not about your opponents. Avoid discrediting and disrespecting others as it is not professional and ultimately it could lead to a libel lawsuit!
- Be relevant. Think about what is needed for the role and focus on that. Instances where you have shown leadership, tenacity, and tact would indicate to voters your suitability for the role.
Stick to the word limit (350 word limit). They are the rules, and, after all, voters will want to read what you have to say. Think carefully about how to get your main points across.
Be creative and inspiring. However, there are rules so make sure that you are not overstepping the mark.
You may also submit text (350 word limit) for any publicity material you wish to use on flyers, posters etc.
You can view some examples of previous manifestos and posters here
Manifesto deadline - Submitted to email@example.com by 17:00 on Thursday 13th February.
Submission Deadline for all text for promotional material, for example text for flyers, posters etc (350 words limit) - Submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 17:00 on Thursday 13th February.