As a charity, Undeb Bangor has a Board of Trustees which exists to ensure that the SU is run effectively, for the benefit of students here at Bangor University.
Trustees volunteer their time to make sure that we make sound financial decisions and obey legal frameworks and adhere to requirements laid down by our regulators (the Charity Commission & the University). Most importantly the Board make sure that the SU responds to the changing needs of students.
Key responsibilities of the Board include:
- Ensuring that all aspects of the SU’s work are legal and meet the regulatory requirements, including those described in the 2010 Charities Act and the 1994 Education Act which specifically relate to Charities and Students’ Unions.
- Recommending a draft annual budget to the Annual General Meeting, considering regular financial reports and information, and overseeing and approving the annual audit process.
- Making sure that the SU remains financially solvent and secure year on year.
- Ensuring that decision-making is clear and that governance structures are appropriate, transparent and fit for purpose.
- Creating, and monitoring progress towards, goals outlined in the SU’s Strategic Plan.
- Monitoring mechanisms to manage organisational risk and performance.
- Ensuring that all work undertaken by the SU relates to the organisation’s charitable objects – making sure that everything has a benefit to your experience whilst at Bangor.
- Managing, supporting and appraising the SU Director.
- Identifying areas for development and creating mechanisms to support change and facilitate improvement.
Trustee Board meeting minutes can be found here.
For Charity Commission guidance on the responsibilities of Trustee, please read this briefing.
There are 5 cross-campus elected officer trustees (the Sabbs), 3 student trustees, 3 external trustees and 1 alumni trustee. (who are selected for their expertise to support the Union). You can find information about our current trustee board on our Trustees page, as well as any vacancies.
If you’d like to contact the board, please e-mail the executive assistant to the Trustee Board, Llinos Gashe.